Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Warren Grimes and Grimes Field




                                                                  Click to enlarge....





   I have been bragging to everybody that one day I am going to visit all these wonderful places I have been writing about. This weekend I was fortunate enough to check out historic Grimes Field at 1636 N. Main St. in Urbana, Ohio. The airport was founded by Warren Grimes who invented the familiar red and green marking lights for aircraft. Grimes built the airport, used a modified Beech C-45H called 'the Grimes Flying Lab' and tested his landing lights for his factory nearby.





 Just a short walk to the hangars and the Champaign Aviation Museum that features an A-26 Invader, a B-25 Mitchell, a Douglas C-47, and are in the process of restoring a B-17. Sadly, I missed the hours they were open- but, I will be back!







Ahhh! Now for the best part! The Airport Cafe is on the Grimes Field and has a small observation deck and windows that give you a full view of airplanes landing and taking off. They are famous for their amazing homemade pies, and there really are pilots that fly-in for the great diner-style food!

I snuck a shot of the cook putting the finishing touches on a coconut-creme pie--(Wow!). Yes, it really is that tall! Yep, I'm going back! Don't forget, they are closed on Mondays!
Jeff Wilson





No comments:

Post a Comment